Ceramic Making Workshop in Matanzas
FOR EXPERIENCED CERAMISTS
January 7 - 13, 2018
Limited to 6 participants
Registration Deadline - September 1, 2017
This ceramic workshop is designed by CubArtEdu and the “Lolo” Gallery-Studio in the City of Matanzas, Cuba for artists capable of working independently with clay. It requires an intermediate-advanced level of technical skill in processing and decorating hand built ceramic pieces. This is an educational people-to-people workshop and as such is an exchange of ideas among facilitators of the workshop and participants to refine skills, master ceramic materials, techniques and processes in order to create an original and personal expression in clay. Majolica glazes and Raku firing will be used in the workshop. In addition to the workshop experience the group will visit several sites with artist and Program Leader Marcos Carvajal who will travel with the group and serve as guide when visiting Old Havana, the University of the Arts (ISA), the 2018 Ceramic Biennale of Havana, the Coincidencia Farm Ceramic Workshop and the Varadero Ceramic Workshop.
Program Package Fees
What is included?
• Ceramic workshop, including material
• Ground transportation in microbus
• Two nights at a private B&B in Havana with breakfasts
• Guided tour of Old Havana by architect-historian
• Four nights at Hotel Velasco in Matanzas with breakfasts
• Welcome and farewell diners
• Four lunches
• Admission to the National Museum of Ceramics
• Admission to Ceramic Biennial
• Visit to the University of the Arts
• Visit to la Coincidencia Farm and Ceramic Studio
• Visit to the Varadero Ceramic Studio
• Orientation before departure
• Travel Guide with tips for a safe and fun trip
• Emailed information about sites to be visited
• Bilingual Program Leader traveling with the group
• Educational / people-to people license to travel
• Tips for servers in included meals, docents and driver
What is not included? (estimates)
• $250 round trip airfare to Havana from Tampa (health insurance in Cuba is included in airfare)
• $50 Cuban tourist visa
• $105 for meals not included
• $25 Other transportation (taxi)
• Tips for maids and luggage handlers
• Trip interruption and cancellation insurance
• Airfare for connecting flight to - from Tampa
• Tampa hotel the night before departure
For a Registration Packet
Please visit our Contact Us page and provide all required Information. As soon as we hear from you, we will email a registration packet with required forms and instructions. You can also call us at 978-998-0039.
Payment Options - Program Package
Cashier's Check or Credit Card
PLEASE VISIT OUR PAYMENT PAGE
Timetable for Registration and Payments
50% of Program Package Cost
45 days before departure
50% balance due of Program Package Cost
Cancellations after registration and before 2nd payment- 50% refund
Cancellations after 2nd payment - no refund
Our flight from Tampa to Havana will take one hour. Once in Havana we will be on our way to a panoramic tour of the city visiting the National Ceramic Museum followed by lunch in Old Havana. After lunch we will have some time to visit the 2018 Ceramic Biennial before we do check-in at the B&B and enjoy a welcome dinner in the evening.
Our second day in Cuba will start with a visit to the Ceramic Department at the University of the Arts (ISA). After lunch we will travel to the City of Matanzas to check-in to our hotel, have a tour of the city of Matanzas and visit Lolo’s Studio, followed by dinner with workshop instructors Osmany Betancourt (Lolo), Manuel Hernández, Osmany Betancourt (son), Dariel Lozano, José Carlos Chávez and David Falcon. See artists' bios here.
AM - Workshop 1. Brief introduction to Raku and processing hand-made clay pieces for Raku
PM - Workshop 2. Processing pieces for Raku
AM - Workshop 3. Decoration of clay pieces applying majolica glazing techniques.
PM - Workshop 4 - Decoration of clay pieces applying majolica glazing techniques.
During Day 5 we will visit La Coincidencia Farm where experimental organic farming blends together with ceramic art sculptures. After lunch we will visit the Varadero Ceramic Workshop and wait for sunset at beautiful Varadero Beach.
AM - Workshop 5 - The Big Show of Raku Firing
After lunch we will get our pieces ready to travel back to Havana. The bus ride will take 2 hours with one stop at the Bacunayagua Bridge Observatory. Upon arrival in Havana we will check-in at our B&B and in the evening enjoy a farewell dinner.
After lunch we will transfer to José Martí International Airport for departure.
Bed and Breakfast selected will depend on availability at the time of registration deadline and group rooming needs.